Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Off Road Biking is Core Training

You hear those words - core training alot. What exactly does that mean. Well, for one thing, it's going to mean something different to each individual. Often times, as a gardener, I use my core strength as I am in the plank position and grab weeds. Or, I turn the soil of the compost adding our weekly scraps and digging in the compost for wormees. As I'm gardening, I am constantly being reminded of proper form and position for safety. But this information isn't about gardening. Today is about the importance of cross training.

I went on a trail bike ride in North East Tampa, FL. It was a blast and let me tell you, it was all core training! 15 miles of off road riding. I was over stimulated looking at the beauty of untouched Florida as well as staying 'on track!' with all the twists, turns, sand pits, narrow lanes and incredible scenery. We even made exercises out of trying to collect oranges on top of some giant orange trees. The ride was gorgeous including, on occasion, a trail of saw palmetto outlining a slimline biking trail. There were also oak trees forming a canopy of dappled sunlight to the narrow, sometimes sandy trail. The core training comes in from into play from the get go! Within the first mile, my husband was behind me giving me 'coaching' tips on how to ride. I was partially listening and partially riding the trail and getting my barrings. As an athlete, I wanted to think I knew how to ride. But after a few miles, I figured out that my husband knew what he was talking about after years off off road biking trails. So, for those people that take spin classes, I suggest you grab a bike a go on a trail. And for those that ride bikes, I certainly suggest for you to go off road. It is very stimulating on the eyes and senses to look and see all the beauty while staying safely on the trail.

You need to keep in a low gear but peddle the legs fast sometimes running out of the saddle. Lots of core training. Make sure to relax your grip, the arms, forearms, shoulders, and neck and use your abs and leg strength. Make sure you are using your leg strength while keeping your hips square. Not knowing the path is also a challenge. As I became more comfortable and confident in the challenge of the ride and path, I was a bit more daring using more of my leg and core strength all while taking in the incredible surroundings. It reminds you of the simple things in life. It was a highlight of 2009. Remember, exercise is how you see it. Cross training is a great way to stimulate your body.


Body and Mind Enrichment. A unique way of exercising your body and mind! www.bodyandmindenrichment.org

No comments:

Post a Comment