Monday, March 15, 2010

Eye Exercises

Recently, in the United States, we celebrated the 4th of July. I was never too much into fireworks but have grown an appreciation to them. Clearwater, FL certainly has some of the best firework shows ever! There is so much color, various shapes, sizes and depth. I was so very lucky to have a fantastic seat this year with my feet dangling over a dock overlooking the water where the fireworks were. It was pointed out to me, thankfully, to also look into the water during the firework extravaganza. All the sudden, I felt as if I got 2 shows in one. The colors glistening on the water were incredible. So, I found myself watching the fireworks show above then, as quickly as I could with only my eyes instead of lifting and lowering my neck, I would look down with my eyeballs and enjoy the show on the glistening water. I realized I was doing eye exercises!
So, of course, I had to remind others about the benefits of exercising your eyes! Exercising your eyes can protect and improve your vision, prevent eye strain and relieve tired eyes. Just like exercising your muscles to build strength, you can strengthen, tone and stimulate cells in your eyes! Eye exercises have been known to help with eye movements, activity and contraction of eye muscles and overall body tension. Eye tension creates an increase in nerve impulses which pass through the optic nerve and effects the brain. Exercising your eyes helps with vision as the ophthalmic nerves receives more blood supply and enhances circulation.
The following are a few exercises. Move the eyes in all directions without moving your head and with your eyes open and closed (you may prefer closed). Follow the movements with your eyes as opposed to just circling and moving the eyes. For example, look up and down, left and right, upper left then lower right, upper right and lower left and circle the eyes. Do each about 5-10 times (to begin). Each time, try to look up more and down more without straining, look further left and further right etc. Another exercise is to close the eyes and squeeze them tightly for a few seconds. Then, relax. For the peripherals, extend your hands and separate them wider than shoulder width apart. Wiggle your fingers and focus on them. There are more eye exercises to practice. For those that drive in a car, look at a computer for long periods of time or any other practice that required significant concentration of the eyes, I highly recommend you make some eye exercises part of your weekly routine. Happy Seeing!
Body and Mind Enrichment. A unique way of exercising your body and mind! www.bodyandmindenrichment.org

No comments:

Post a Comment