Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Homemade Apple Cider

Looks like we got one last little spell of cold weather. And yes I know, we live in Florida, we are truly not experiencing cold weather compared to many other parts. I have been into making hot apple cider again. I thought I would post a homemade recipe. I suggest you put your creative hat on because my recipes go a little something like this...."take a little of this and add a little of that!'. I give you suggestions but encourage you to keep creative!

If I have apple juice, I do part water, part juice. But, if I don't have the juice but have an apple or two, I slice those and add them in water to make, yes, apple juice! My favorite apple juice is Martinelli's unfiltered where you can see all the good juju settling at the bottom. Similar to what you would hope to see with the real deal apple cider vinegar. If you are a tequilla drinker, similar to the worm. You get the picture. It is very concentrated, so I dilute it with water one to one is about my personal preference. If I have an apple and feel inclined, I slice and add it. Then later, I can munch on that with all the awesome flavors like having baked apples. I like the water to be hot but not scorching. Imagine you stepping into the shower. We are lucky to have hot water at our fingertips. It's enjoyable to step into a warm/hot shower. It wouldn't be as pleasant if you stepped into the shower and was scorched, right. Well, I like to treat the herbs or spices the same. I use a tea infuser or cheese cloth. If I make 2 cups water, 2 cups apple juice, add a combination of the following: estimated a few cinnamon sticks (~3) or 1 tbsp of ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of cloves or slightly less of powered cloves, same for nutmeg, an inch chunk of fresh ginger or a 1/2 tsp of ground ginger, 1/2 tsp of cardamom, orange zest even juice from an orange if you choose. If you are lucky enough to have fresh nutmeg, by all means, try it.

Recently, I got to smell, taste and shave my own fresh nutmeg tasting my friend Rita Taylor's yummy products (vinegars, herbal rubs, teas etc.) from Briarwood Farms. It was great! Okay, back on the cider, allow this to blend 15-20ish minutes. If you have all spice, sure you may add some. Taste each of the spices and make sure it is fresh (I mean take note, if it's been in the cupboard for a while such as a few season, freshen it up a bit. Toss it in your yard to 'compost'). You don't have to add each the same. If there is one over another flavor that resonates with you (such as cinnamon!) add more of it. Enjoy! Other additives could be honey and or a libation: vodka, rum. The herbs and spices used in this recipe are great for the teeth, gums, digestive system and more! If you like recipes and ideas like this, join in on the health and nutrition group for more! Happy and health drinking! This recipe is in my recipe and tips books called Emilyisms.
Body and Mind Enrichment. A unique way of exercising your body and mind!
www.bodyandmindenrichment.org

No comments:

Post a Comment