Monday, October 8, 2012

What's buggin' you - cockroaches!

Be Me Website
Be Me Facebook Page
Be Me Blog
Be Me Herbal Products

This past Sunday was a day filled with getting down and dirty in the dirt. I have been prepping the soil all summer for the fall garden and today was a big day of planting new goodies big and small - plants and seeds.

Since I compost my scraps and encourage living organisms to assist with the natural process of breaking it down, it comes to no surprise that I come across a variety of critters.  I'm like a kid with dirt everywhere from my knees to face (without knowing it, of course!).  I love seeing the worms and get excited and thankful!



Yesterday, I when would come inside to take a break, I would respectively kick off my shoes (my converse just got demoted to gardening shoes) so I didn't track in dirt all over the floor (again like a kid, I've been known to track sand from the beach and dirt from the garden!).  As I was putting my shoes back on in the garage near the gardening stuff, I went to tie my shoe and saw what looked like could have been a stick or possibly an antenna coming out through my laces.  I wasn't sure if it moved because, again, I was putting my shoes on so it could have been my own toes wiggling around! I paused and decided to lightly pull the little stick from the top of my laces and sure enough it was connect to something and moving on its own!! I live in Florida so I immediately knew it was a cockroach. And mind you, I wasn't wearing any socks!  Again, I'm totally cool with crawling things but I didn't need to be sharing shoe space with one! So.....I immediately hopped up and (literally) kicked off my shoe in hopes the cockroach with crawl out.  Nothing happened.  I gave the shoe a light kick to stir things up a bit but apparently it was a safe haven.  After some prodding and coaxing I finally got the little guy out from my shoe but he ended up on his backside kicking around like a fish out of water. I put my shoe back on and tried to lightly flip him right side up.  He then proceeded to attach himself onto the front of my shoe with a pretty solid grip. I shook my foot around like I was doing the hokey pokey and once again he landed on his back kicking and screaming. We tried it one more time and he landed with another death grip onto my shoe!  Finally, with grace and confidence like the soccer player I am, I lightly volleyed him to his right-side-up dismount like a USA Gymnastic Olympian and we parted ways!


Again, I'm friendly and cool with many crawly things, but when they catch you off gaurd, it'll give you the willies!   Watch your back.....or the inside of your shoes in the garage!


Body and Mind Enrichment. A unique way of exercising your body and mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment