Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Chasing an Illness Away

Be Me Website
Be Me Facebook Page
Be Me Blog
Be Me Herbal Products


Unfortunately, from time to time we are subject to catching a cold, flu, virus, bacteria, etc. Thankfully, mine are few and far between and typically quick to run its course.

Going down......
My most recent battle was a cold (I think... I was a little nauseous and didn't think nausea usually came with a cold).  It was somewhat brought upon myself - or at least I believe so. I was preparing to go out of town. It was a fun trip, however, I still didn't sleep well the night before (with excitement and anticipation of the long weekend) and worked hard the week of to get as much work done as possible. I know I was also around others that were sick over the weekend. My alcohol consumption was up a notch due to lots of celebrating at a wedding.  So, there you have it - multiple factors that suppressed my immune system!

Sore Throat
Before I even got home from the trip, I began feeling a scratchy throat (Sunday afternoon). I had hoped it was different atmosphere, weather (in GA) or anything other than being sick!  Thankfully, I brought white tea and had already consumed it throughout the weekend and came across some 'detox' tea.

The following day while we were driving home (Monday), it was confirmed that I officially had a sore throat - bummer!  I took a nap when we got home and began drinking tea with herbal goodness to sooth the throat, support the immune system, and assist with nausea. This helpful herbal tea included cinnamon, elderberry, ginger, sage and honey (multiple cups for the next 24 hours).  I did a warm salt water gargle (multiple times). Sometimes I'll add apple cider vinegar and honey to the salt water and if I have an herbal tea, I'll use that water instead of plain water. Thankfully, the sore throat dissipated by the next morning (Wed.).  However, it moved upward (I was thankful it was heading up and out instead of down in the chest although at the time I was darn uncomfortable).

Proper Food, Rest and Exercise
In the meantime, I was eating somewhat light (no dairy or heavy foods) going back and forth between warm soothing soups (from Natures Food Patch since I didn't take the time or energy to make it) and nourishing smoothies with homemade yoghurt (good bacteria), fruits (not too many), leafy greens and celery, ginger, honey and chia or hemp seeds.  I also took Buried Treasure ACF liquid nutrients to support the immune system and slowed down on exercise all week.  Priorities were proper rest, low stress (mentally and physically) and eventually some nice walks.

Up and Out
After the sore throat, it did seem to move 'up' around the head and (stuffy) nose as it was working its way out (Wed. and Thurs). At that point, I change my herbal tea formula a bit. I took out the cinnamon and sage and added peppermint.  Now, the tea was peppermint, elderberry, rosehips (Vit. C), ginger and honey.  During the day I would also add green tea to the mix!  The herbs help to support the immune system and shorten the duration of the cold/flu.  I also surrendered to one of my least favorite things, although very potent, the dreaded nose spray. Currently, the one I have includes colloidal silver but I know there are many other good ones out there.  Although it's one of my least favorite things to do, I'm willing to do it to get to the root of the issue at that particular time as I'm chasing the cold away.  I would do it a few times a day (morning, mid day and evening).  I also used my B Me Therapeutic Salve around rub it from my nose towards and around the ear, down the neck and up and out the forehead and crown of the head.  The B Me Therapeutic Lotion was rubbed on my feet and covered with socks overnight.

By Friday morning, I mentally prepared to teach an energetic cardio and weight class. I toned it down a notch for myself by using lighter weights and not as high intensity while still motivating the class. Again, I rested that evening so I could teach again another energetic class on Saturday (along with teaching other Pilates classes).  Over the weekend, I continued the herbal tea, water with lemon, ACF, and nose spray.  The following week I was able to carefully bump back up my exercise (no need to be in a major hurry, I have the rest of my life!) and continued to eat and rest well.

As you're treating your illness, remember -  you WANT your symptoms to change, just hopefully for the better. So, 'treat' it differently as it moves!


Body and Mind Enrichment. A unique way of exercising your body and mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment